What a day we just had. I had a Groupon to use at a local picture place that expires next weekend, so decided to get it out of the way today. Ryan wasn’t really up for it, but I said I thought it would be quick and easy… that it was not. The following things happened:
- Emery had the runs, so lots of diaper changes & Desitin.
- Emery decided to root (the way a baby moves it’s head to show signs of hunger) once we started the shoot, so I had to try feeding him between each setup change.
- The frequent feedings “opened the flood gates” so to speak and once we were done with the shoot I realized I had been leaking all over myself, A LOT. Awesome.
- Riley threw a CRAZY temper tantrum. Like the worst EVER. Ryan tried to distract her with a walk which resulted in her running from him while yelling, “Don’t you touch me!” over and over. Poor guy was getting looks from strangers like he was kidnapping her. I guess he just kept saying, “Yes, i’m her Dad!”
- The photographer kept wanting to shoot Emery sans diaper. SEE #1. I’m doing laundry now.
- She also wanted to shoot both kids topless, which we figured we would try just to see how it turned out.
- While the pics were being prepared the manager pulled us aside to apologize and discuss how that was illegal and the photographer should know better. Awkward, but the pic did turn out cute, as weird as that sounds.
- While reviewing the final pictures I had to hold Riley with a death grip on my lap while she screamed bloody murder (the tantrum was still going). Lots of apologies were expressed.
- We only liked 2, maybe 3, of the pictures. Ugh.
- Finally, the whole purpose of the photo shoot was to get a great shot to use as a baby announcement to send to family back in Michigan. I think I could’ve gotten this shot myself, for free. Here is what we’re sending… what do you think?
I guess it wasn’t that bad (obviously it could’ve been much worse, like actually serious stuff), but it was just one of those days where every little thing was not working out. We also hit traffic and were almost late (I hate that), Emery’s umbilical cord is worrying me (when he cries hard it looks like it might be starting to bleed- yikes), we picked up dinner on the way home and my gift card to the place wouldn’t work… you get the idea.
The best part of it all, Ryan & I kept a sense of humor and are still smiling and laughing, despite all the minor annoyances. Normally we’d both be stressed and showing it by now. Cheers to staying positive after a stressful day! I hope anyone reading this (uh hum, ME!) can remember this reaction the next time they’re having a tough day. When it comes down to it, life is too short to not enjoy every moment. Keep laughing, smiling and pressing forward.